Thursday, March 1, 2012

I am not a Vampire

I struggled for a few minutes to come up with the title for this post until I remembered it was a blog and supposed to be fun. The point of blogging is to deliver good information in a fun and interesting manner. I am not trying to write ad pieces or text books here, but I still want my readers to be informed.

The idea for the title stems back to what happened to me while doing follow up on an open house. The person had requested information on the age of the AC. I gave them that information and explained to them all the things I could do for them as their agent. All they told me was that they weren't interested in that house. That is fine with me as I wasn't the listing agent for that house and would happily show them others. Of course I have heard nothing since from them.


Sometimes that happens. Personalities aren't always going to click, but if I said I didn't feel a little dejected after every rejection I would be lying. It hurts to not be wanted. It is a very human feeling and that is what I am after all. A Realtor is not a supernatural being that sneaks in windows at night to steel a person's soul.

This all leads me to my confusion though. Some people just don't want to work with a Realtor. Why? It is especially hard to understand from the buyers side. I don't get paid unless they find a new home and even then they aren't the ones doing the paying. The seller pays the Realtors' compensation. I really don't see a negative for a buyer in working with a Realtor.

I would have to imagine that all of the people looking for a home have a job or they wouldn't be able to qualify to look for a home. So here is the real question. Why try and do two jobs? I don't understand the line of thinking that leads to the conclusion that a person wants to work eight hours or more a day only to come home and have to wade through information when they could have someone else who they aren't paying do it for them.

That is really the confusing part. It is my job to find out your wants and needs in your new home and to pull up homes I think you might be interested in and then to run them buy you before showing them. I am the one who does most of the work, and why people would want to put more stress on themselves by taking on all the responsibilities of conducting their own search is beyond me.

People are curious creatures and they are going to search for what they want, but they are relying on websites that aren't as up to date as their local MLS. Those sites do pull from the local MLS but the information doesn't get updated nearly as frequently. They could find their dream home only to discover when they do finally go to a Realtor that it is under contract. That is a deflating feeling they could have avoided by using a Realtor who has access to the most up to date information.

There really is no downside for a person to use a Realtor and a lot of downside for them not to. I can tell you from personal experience that I wished I had used a Realtor when I bought my condo in 2006. It is a mistake I am still paying for now and with the new knowledge I posses it is even more deflating to know what I could have avoided. If you are doing a home buying search don't do it on your own. Find an expert you can trust to offer the advice, care, and counsel needed in making a decision that will help you move to the next stage in life.

I learn something new in real estate everyday
so you don't have to
David Huzzard
www.SuperNoVaRealty.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment